Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hall of Fame Days

Its my favorite two weeks of the summer in Canton - Hall of Fame Festival week! Each year during this time, the city we love is brimming with activities and we always make sure to take full advantage of them. So - this past weekend was the Hall of Fame race, which Tyson and I take part in every year. After begrudgingly pulling myself out of bed at 7:00am on Sunday (seriously, that should be illegal on the weekend) we went down to the Football HOF for the race kick-off. Despite the somewhat inclement weather conditions - the place was PACKED full of runners!

After we were done with the race, we decided to take a walk down to the McKinley Memorial ~ a place we actually visit pretty often. Its one of those rare kind of untapped gems that I don't think people have a full appreciation for here in Canton.

I was thanking my lucky stars that I thought to bring my camera with me because we ended up having the entire memorial all to ourselves (it was still pretty early in the morning). I was able to get some lovely pics that I thought I would share with you.
A shot from the top steps of the Memorial. The runners on the road below were on
their last few miles of the 5 mile race.
"A government like ours rests on the intelligence, morality and patriotism of the people."
A great quote by President William McKinley

My favorite part of the McKinley Memorial - the huge ornate brass doors that lead inside.

The details on these doors are stunning.



The statue of McKinley on the stairs of the memorial.


Took a short walk through the park before it started raining.

Lots of hidden treasures in Memorial park to be discovered!


Two tired runners relaxing on the steps of the memorial.
Stay tuned on the blog and twitter this week for more HOF Festival updates! And of course - the CBC Halloween line will debuted in a mere matter of days!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Angie--

    HOF Festival is my favorite time of year to be a Cantonite, too! So many great childhood memories. :)

    I had no idea that you and Tyson were runners. I love it!

    I always enjoy your blog. Hope you have a fantastic week.

    --Abby

    ReplyDelete