Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saying Auf Wiedersehen to Germany and Bonjour to Paris

On my last day in Germany, I decided to take the trek to Berlin to visit the Brandenburg Gate. I honestly didn't know much of the significance of this landmark before I went, but had heard that it was a great thing to see while in Germany. Turns out...it was probably one of the most significant landmarks I think I have ever seen. You can read some history of the gate here. Over the course of the Cold War, 152 people were shot and killed for trying to pass through the gate illegally from West Germany to East Germany. Today the gate symbolizes democratic freedom and a unified Germany.

The west side of the Brandenburg Gate


The east side of Brandenburg Gate {once occupied the the Soviet Union}


Right down the road from the Brandburg Gate is the Reichstag Building. This building now houses Germany's Parliament, but at one time was the site for many of Hitler's propaganda presentations.

What's is maybe more eerie than walking through the Brandenburg gate is standing on the same steps that Hitler once did.

During the Cold War, the Reichstag Building went unused after the Berlin Wall was built. After the Wall was torn down, the new democratic goverment decided to move back into this building. The glass dome that you can see in the above picture is meant to symbolize the political transparency that is now promised to the people by the goverment.
I'm a little bummed that I didn't know too much of the history of these amazing sites before I visited, but I'm really excited to start doing some research {I think I may have just become a history buff in training}.
And now on to more upbeat topics...
I'M IN PARIS!!!
I arrived in Paris at 9:00pm (3:00 pm in Ohio). I can't say if it is the most beautiful city in the world, but it is certainly the most beautiful city I have ever seen. When I was walking to dinner tonight, I came across this gorgeous building...
I'm not sure what this is, but I'm excited to find out tomorrow.


This is the view from the balcony in my hotel room.

Tomorrow I have a completely free day to explore the city before I head to a tradeshow on Monday...so stay tuned for more pics of Paris

1 comment:

  1. I believe "that building" is Sorbonne...had a "few" good times just around where you took that picture from!

    ReplyDelete